Dog FOOD and Exercise

How would you feel if you carried around four 20-pound bags of dog food all day? DOG TIRED! 2 years ago, I used to weigh 80 pounds more and that’s how I felt. Run down. Exhausted.

Now I feel marvelous. Did I take a quick-fix pill or follow a fad diet? No, I just ate less and exercised more. That’s the only thing that really works.

Now that Beth is off to England, I’m getting back to business. I have 30 more pounds to go. It’s time to get busy.

I’m tweaking my exercise routine.

-- Monday and Wednesday, I’m on the treadmill.
-- Tuesday and Thursday, I take Pilate’s. It’s not as tough as last fall. I’m improving … slowly. When we’re on the mats, I can even touch my feet to the floor above my head. Not bad for 55.
-- Then (weather permitting), I’m walking 4 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday.
-- I get Fridays off. (I LOVE FRIDAYS!)

I want to push myself further on the treadmill.
First 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.7 mph
Second 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.8 mph
Third 5 minutes … 14% incline … 3.9 mph
Fourth 5 minutes … 14% incline … 4 mph
Fifth minutes … 13% incline … 4.1 mph
Last 5 minutes … 13% incline … 4.2 mph

Not bad for someone who used to be ready to die at 3 mph on the flat.


Monday, December 7, 2009

FINDING a Look: Your Work Wardrobe.



Work appropriate changes every few years. During the “dressed for success” 80s, I was advised to wear a navy suit and put a bow around my neck. Loosing weight has meant replacing everything I own, so I’ve been giving this some thought.

PERCEPTIONS: I would do the same caliber of work, whether I came to the office in a 3-piece suit or sweatpants and stripper heels. However, I would be perceived differently … very differently. Most people make judgments based on perceptions, not careful study. Sadly, it is easier to look like you do good work than it is to actually do it.

SALES: Sales calls are a job interview. Dress accordingly. Your clothes need to say, “Hire me. I’ll do great work.” Think about who you’re calling on. In a perfect world, you need to dress slightly better than they do. Here in the real world, you may see a banker at 9, a fast food franchise at 11 and the owner of an auto repair shop at 2. Dress for the most conservative. Lastly, the more intangible your product, the more conservatively you should dress.

TV: Just because you see someone wear it on TV doesn’t mean you should. 1) It may not look good on you. 2) In a work situation, you need to look creditable. Starlets are after something else. If you must model yourself after the tube, look at newscasters. No, I don’t mean the celebrity news lightweights. Pick someone people value like Katie Couric or Meredith Vieira.

NECKLINES: Keep the girls under wraps. If you have a large chest (C cup and up) a tiny cleavage crack may be unavoidable, but try. Women will “tsk, tsk” and men will become … distracted. The point of work clothes is to look trustworthy and knowledgeable. Save “hot little numbers” for date night.

UNDERWEAR: I don’t care if you wear granny panties or go commando … BUT no one should ever see it. This includes bra straps and panty lines. Contrary to popular belief, if your thong is several sizes too small, there will be a line. (Should you choose the commando option, there had better NEVER be evidence of it … really, never.)

DENIM: NEVER wear worn, faded or torn denim to any professional level job. However, there are times when a well-made, dark-washed denim pant is acceptable. The idea that jeans are OK on Friday, but not Monday or Wednesday is ridiculous. Do you plan to sell less on Friday? If you are wearing denim, pair it with a blazer, low-key earrings and classic shoes. In other words, keep everything else conservative.

SKIRT LENGTH: Mini shirts do not belong at work for the same reason low necklines don’t. Slightly above the knee is as far as you should go.

T SHIRTS: I work at a radio station. Clothing with the station logo is required for a remote broadcast. Other than that, a t-shirt with a heat-transfer, logo, graphic or pocket is unacceptable in a professional level job. However, a short-sleeved, round-necked top is fine, when worn under a blazer or vest. I would avoid wearing it with the denim pant discussed above. Elevate the rest of your apparel to compensate for the T-shirt.

SHOES: Flip-flops are OK in the yard, but not on the job. Ditto tennis shoes. I don’t care how much they cost. 3-inch heels are a bad idea, too.

MEN - NECKTIES & BLAZERS: If you wear one, you may be able to skip the other. (This depends on your community and job category. Lawyers and bankers, no.) An un-tucked shirt is not the best choice. However if you must, you need both blazer and tie to compensate … or one and a sweater (pullover, not cardigan). The un-tucked look is completely wrong, if the man is overweight.

EARRINGS ON WOMEN: An inch to an inch and a half is plenty. If your look is moderate is other ways, you can indulge yourself a little more. It’s like denim or T-shirts. If the rest of the look is conservative, your can push it a little in one area.

EARRINGS ON MEN: Leave them at home. A job is about earning money, not self-expression.

TATOOS: It’s the same as underwear. What they don’t see is none of their business. I’ve worked with a guy since ’01, who has KISS all across his back. I only found out a couple of years ago. He never wears anything to work that lets it show. If you have a visible tattoo, you’re subject to the stereotypes regarding them. MORAL: Don’t get one, where it can’t be covered.

SKIN: In a professional situation, you do not show skin between your neckline and knees. Cover your belly button and butt crack.

EXCEPTIONS: There are certain corporate cultures, where these rules can be bent … even fractured. Look at your boss’s boss. What does he or she wear? I work with business people in the Midwest, who spend a few hundred to $50,000 per year on advertsing. In other words, these are good guidelines for a moderately conservative population.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Well, the good news is someone liked my article. A site call best business franchise reprinted it word for word - except they stuck their name in every few sentences.
http://best-business-franchise.net/best-business-franchise/fat-family-other-f-words-finding-a-look-your-work-wardrobe-best-business-franchise-net/
The least they could do is put a link back to my blog.