Dog FOOD and Exercise

How would you feel if you carried around four 20-pound bags of dog food all day? DOG TIRED! 2 years ago, I used to weigh 80 pounds more and that’s how I felt. Run down. Exhausted.

Now I feel marvelous. Did I take a quick-fix pill or follow a fad diet? No, I just ate less and exercised more. That’s the only thing that really works.

Now that Beth is off to England, I’m getting back to business. I have 30 more pounds to go. It’s time to get busy.

I’m tweaking my exercise routine.

-- Monday and Wednesday, I’m on the treadmill.
-- Tuesday and Thursday, I take Pilate’s. It’s not as tough as last fall. I’m improving … slowly. When we’re on the mats, I can even touch my feet to the floor above my head. Not bad for 55.
-- Then (weather permitting), I’m walking 4 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday.
-- I get Fridays off. (I LOVE FRIDAYS!)

I want to push myself further on the treadmill.
First 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.7 mph
Second 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.8 mph
Third 5 minutes … 14% incline … 3.9 mph
Fourth 5 minutes … 14% incline … 4 mph
Fifth minutes … 13% incline … 4.1 mph
Last 5 minutes … 13% incline … 4.2 mph

Not bad for someone who used to be ready to die at 3 mph on the flat.


Thursday, December 10, 2009

FIRST Blizzard of the Year



Sometimes, they beat storm warnings to death.

Local weather information is one thing that radio has. TV can interrupt your programs and annoy you. The Internet is frequently behind. When you work at a radio station, incoming storms cause a flurry of activity. Sometimes it’s all for nothing.

Yesterday night’s snowfall was predicted to be 6 to 12 inches. The temperature did not drop as fast as expected, so we got a lot of it as rain. Yes, the roads are a skating rink, but there’s less blowing snow.

I got up at 6:30 this morning, wondering if I’d be staying home. When I looked outside, it was clear. Feed the pets. Took a shower. Looked out again at 7:30 and couldn’t see across the road to my neighbor’s house. There’s 30 to 40 miles between the Mississippi River and me… and it’s flat as a tabletop. The wind can be furious. What snow we had, was air born.

I started making phone calls. The morning air staff is in by 4:30 or 5 a.m., so they’d had no problem. (Don’t feel too bad for them. They get to leave around lunch.) The people who live in town had no problem, because blowing snow isn’t an issue for them. Michele’s dad runs a snowplow. He told her to stay home for a few hours. I decided to follow his advice. About 10, she called to say she was going to try it.

To stay home or drive in bad weather? I never know if I’ve made a good call till I’m 10 or 15 minutes from home. Sometimes, I realize I’ve been a weenie and could have left earlier. Other times, the roads are worse than expected and I wonder if I’ve lost my mind.

I hit several patches of whiteout. Makes me nervous. Then, there was the idiot going 15 mph without his lights on. Now if that’s all the faster he can handled … well, he knows his own reflexes and tires … BUT he needs to turn on his lights. I was 3 car-lengths away, before I saw him. Pulled up beside him where I entered the highway, and he’s talkin’ on his cell. What if he hit a slick spot!

No comments: