Dog FOOD and Exercise

How would you feel if you carried around four 20-pound bags of dog food all day? DOG TIRED! 2 years ago, I used to weigh 80 pounds more and that’s how I felt. Run down. Exhausted.

Now I feel marvelous. Did I take a quick-fix pill or follow a fad diet? No, I just ate less and exercised more. That’s the only thing that really works.

Now that Beth is off to England, I’m getting back to business. I have 30 more pounds to go. It’s time to get busy.

I’m tweaking my exercise routine.

-- Monday and Wednesday, I’m on the treadmill.
-- Tuesday and Thursday, I take Pilate’s. It’s not as tough as last fall. I’m improving … slowly. When we’re on the mats, I can even touch my feet to the floor above my head. Not bad for 55.
-- Then (weather permitting), I’m walking 4 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday.
-- I get Fridays off. (I LOVE FRIDAYS!)

I want to push myself further on the treadmill.
First 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.7 mph
Second 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.8 mph
Third 5 minutes … 14% incline … 3.9 mph
Fourth 5 minutes … 14% incline … 4 mph
Fifth minutes … 13% incline … 4.1 mph
Last 5 minutes … 13% incline … 4.2 mph

Not bad for someone who used to be ready to die at 3 mph on the flat.


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

FINDING a Goal





Weight loss goals. Sales goals. I have a lot of experience with goals. No one gives a damn about the goal someone else picks for them. That’s an assignment, not a commitment. If you dedicate yourself to accomplishing a task, that’s what matters.


OK, there are lightweights with the attention span of insects. They’re full of enthusiasm one minute, and on to something else the next. I’m not talking about them. I mean, if a person of substance focuses on a goal, watch out! You can do anything.


Be aware of what you personally know, and when you should turn to an expert. I’m using the height-weight charts to pick my weight goal, because I’m trying to be healthy. I assume those bench marks will be the healthiest place to land.


Sales goals are a different animal. Where I work, they no longer pay commission. We get a bonus, if the team hits their goal. The whole team. If someone falls short, the rest of us have to make it up or no bonus. We haven’t hit goal in 5 quarters. No one tries. They don't want to make an effort for nothing.


My supervisor has decided that his goal is too high, so he dropped his and raised mine. Now I'm expected to bring in 21% of the goal for an organization with 7 salespeople. Why was I the loser? Because I’m the only one hitting goals. Apparently, if you spend half your day on Facebook and don’t hit your goal, no one expects more of you. But if you work till 7:00 p.m., you’re punished by having a higher goal.

No comments: