Dog FOOD and Exercise

How would you feel if you carried around four 20-pound bags of dog food all day? DOG TIRED! 2 years ago, I used to weigh 80 pounds more and that’s how I felt. Run down. Exhausted.

Now I feel marvelous. Did I take a quick-fix pill or follow a fad diet? No, I just ate less and exercised more. That’s the only thing that really works.

Now that Beth is off to England, I’m getting back to business. I have 30 more pounds to go. It’s time to get busy.

I’m tweaking my exercise routine.

-- Monday and Wednesday, I’m on the treadmill.
-- Tuesday and Thursday, I take Pilate’s. It’s not as tough as last fall. I’m improving … slowly. When we’re on the mats, I can even touch my feet to the floor above my head. Not bad for 55.
-- Then (weather permitting), I’m walking 4 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday.
-- I get Fridays off. (I LOVE FRIDAYS!)

I want to push myself further on the treadmill.
First 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.7 mph
Second 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.8 mph
Third 5 minutes … 14% incline … 3.9 mph
Fourth 5 minutes … 14% incline … 4 mph
Fifth minutes … 13% incline … 4.1 mph
Last 5 minutes … 13% incline … 4.2 mph

Not bad for someone who used to be ready to die at 3 mph on the flat.


Friday, October 23, 2009

Big FAT Lie: The Center for Medical Weight Loss

At any given time, half the women in the United States are on a diet. If you put “diet” into Google, you'll get 19,300,000 results. There's big money in the weight loss business, but some weight loss web sites are crap.
    
If you want to know whether or not a diet is legitimate, look for wild claims:

  • Lose 21 pound in 4 weeks.
  • 99% lose weight and keep it off.

In defense of CMWL , in teeny, tiny print (point 6) at the bottom of the page, they have a disclaimer.
Based on a stratified sample of 349 patients over a six-year period. Patients must have remained on the program for a minimum of 28 days and be monitored with at least two physician visits within first 31 days to be included in the study. 99% of the patients that followed the CMWL program, including a low calorie diet and individual counseling with CMWL physicians, from one month up to a year, weighed less at their last weigh-in than their starting weight.
Well golly gee whiz, anyone who consistently eats fewer calories will lose weight. DUH! You don't have to sign up for their program for that.


Secondly, weighing less at your last weight-in is not “keeping it off.”




Then, there's the graph above. It looks like you lose fat and gain muscle, but none of the information discusses an exercise porgram.  And the numbers at the side … what do they mean? Pounds? Percent? It makes no sense.


You are the key to whether or not your weight loss plan is a success. If you need outside help, find a more credible source!
 

See for yourself at http://www.centerformedicalweightloss.com/

No comments: