Dog FOOD and Exercise

How would you feel if you carried around four 20-pound bags of dog food all day? DOG TIRED! 2 years ago, I used to weigh 80 pounds more and that’s how I felt. Run down. Exhausted.

Now I feel marvelous. Did I take a quick-fix pill or follow a fad diet? No, I just ate less and exercised more. That’s the only thing that really works.

Now that Beth is off to England, I’m getting back to business. I have 30 more pounds to go. It’s time to get busy.

I’m tweaking my exercise routine.

-- Monday and Wednesday, I’m on the treadmill.
-- Tuesday and Thursday, I take Pilate’s. It’s not as tough as last fall. I’m improving … slowly. When we’re on the mats, I can even touch my feet to the floor above my head. Not bad for 55.
-- Then (weather permitting), I’m walking 4 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday.
-- I get Fridays off. (I LOVE FRIDAYS!)

I want to push myself further on the treadmill.
First 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.7 mph
Second 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.8 mph
Third 5 minutes … 14% incline … 3.9 mph
Fourth 5 minutes … 14% incline … 4 mph
Fifth minutes … 13% incline … 4.1 mph
Last 5 minutes … 13% incline … 4.2 mph

Not bad for someone who used to be ready to die at 3 mph on the flat.


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

FOOD: Rejected Recipe




I’ve been cooking since junior high, but creating my own recipes is harder than I thought. Let me rephrase that. Coming up with the idea is easy. It’s working out the details is a lot of trial and error.



Let me explain. When I get home from work, I want to eat. Right then. Men in the 50’s had a good thing going. They walked in the door and the little woman had dinner on the table. Of course, the problem is I’m both the bread earner and the not-so-little woman.


Before loosing weight, I solved that problem with convenience foods. For the first year of this diet, I ate a lot of soup. Easy. Low-calorie. Basically, still convenience food. Since being diagnosed with high blood pressure, I’ve been trying to cut back on salt. That means less canned soup.


I need something that’s as easy as canned soup, but low calorie and low salt. On the weekends, I’ve been experimenting with a big batch of something in the crockpot. Then, I immediately divide it into servings and freezing the portions. When I come home after work, all I have to do is defrost.


There are 2 problems. One is timing. Rice and raw veggies take longer than canned and frozen ones. Tomatoes turn to mush in a couple of hours, while dried beans take longer than rice.


The second problem is seasonings. Salt really helps taste. Many spice blends and sauces have more salt than anything else. I had hoped to post a recipe from this weekend … but no. I still have some glitches to work out.

No comments: