Dog FOOD and Exercise

How would you feel if you carried around four 20-pound bags of dog food all day? DOG TIRED! 2 years ago, I used to weigh 80 pounds more and that’s how I felt. Run down. Exhausted.

Now I feel marvelous. Did I take a quick-fix pill or follow a fad diet? No, I just ate less and exercised more. That’s the only thing that really works.

Now that Beth is off to England, I’m getting back to business. I have 30 more pounds to go. It’s time to get busy.

I’m tweaking my exercise routine.

-- Monday and Wednesday, I’m on the treadmill.
-- Tuesday and Thursday, I take Pilate’s. It’s not as tough as last fall. I’m improving … slowly. When we’re on the mats, I can even touch my feet to the floor above my head. Not bad for 55.
-- Then (weather permitting), I’m walking 4 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday.
-- I get Fridays off. (I LOVE FRIDAYS!)

I want to push myself further on the treadmill.
First 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.7 mph
Second 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.8 mph
Third 5 minutes … 14% incline … 3.9 mph
Fourth 5 minutes … 14% incline … 4 mph
Fifth minutes … 13% incline … 4.1 mph
Last 5 minutes … 13% incline … 4.2 mph

Not bad for someone who used to be ready to die at 3 mph on the flat.


Sunday, October 25, 2009

FOREIGN Study Wardrobe




I spent a quarter (13 weeks) in Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan, when I was in college. My daughter  ( above in MY sunglasses) has grown up on those stories She's chosen to spend a semester in Britain, specifically Edge Hill University outside Liverpool. We are working on a list of clothes to bring. Here's the first draft.

A worst case scenario is not being able to do laundry for 2 weeks. In the real world of college, it might be more than that, but you can't afford the luggage expense.


Every day clothes for going to class and hanging out with friends
  • 10 to 15 everyday tops
  • 5 to 7 everyday bottoms … jeans, khakis, something that isn't jean and khakis and a skirt.
  • Try to have at least 2 tops to go with every bottom. The more limited the item, the further down the priority list you should move it.

Dress up … Think dancing & clubbing. In addition, sometimes colleges have events/dinners for foreign exchange students. You will need both kinds of “dress up” clothes.

  • 1 to 2 serious adults-are-around outfits. This can be a blazer to go over a pair of pants that aren't jeans or your everyday skirt. Try to use some pieces from your everyday wardrobe.
  • 1 or 2 out-on-the-town outfits. Again try to use some pieces from your everyday wardrobe.

Shoes
  • 1 to 2 pairs of walk-all-day shoes
  • 1 pair of heels that should be able to to go from meeting the faculty to dancing.
  • 1 comfy pair of shoes/slippers for the dorm ... perhaps flip-flops
  • Shoes weigh more and take up a lot of luggage space. Be frugal.
  • This is where Beth is having the most trouble.

Sloppy and Comfortable: for hanging around the dorm and sleeping in.
  • 4 to 5 tops
  • 2 bottoms
  • Robe (Terry cloth is bulky.  Try something thinner.)
  • Include one or 2 things that remind you of home … for example, Ts and sweatshirts from your high school or college.

Undies

  • Enough panties, bras, cammies and socks to last 2 weeks
  • 2 pairs of tights to go with the skirt ... or leggings
  • Make sure you have the right things to go under all the pieces you are bringing.

Outerwear: Look up the weather where you are going. These are the bulkiest things in your suitcase, but they are also the most expensive to buy over there.
  • 1 coat for the coldest weather you're likely to experience. Beth is leaving in January, so this will be worn on the plane.
  • 1 hoodie … Can be worn alone or added underneath other coats
  • 1 water proof coat.
  • Beth's comment: But how am I going to pick just 1 hoodie?

Accessories: Because your wardrobe is limited, these give you versatility
  • Think dressing up and dressing down.
  • Pick items that will go with more than one piece you are taking.
  • Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, scarves
  • Beth is having trouble with the idea of only 1 purse.

The slush pile:  Pack your suitcase with the minimum.  Weigh it. If it's light, add from the slush pile.  This is the only bring if there's room/available weight.
 
 
Find out if you need to bring

  • Towels
  • Sheets
  • Hangers

1 comment:

Pat said...

This was listed on Broken Controller
http://brokencontrollers.com/fat-family-amp-other-f-words-foreign-study-wardrobe-t5460866.php