Dog FOOD and Exercise

How would you feel if you carried around four 20-pound bags of dog food all day? DOG TIRED! 2 years ago, I used to weigh 80 pounds more and that’s how I felt. Run down. Exhausted.

Now I feel marvelous. Did I take a quick-fix pill or follow a fad diet? No, I just ate less and exercised more. That’s the only thing that really works.

Now that Beth is off to England, I’m getting back to business. I have 30 more pounds to go. It’s time to get busy.

I’m tweaking my exercise routine.

-- Monday and Wednesday, I’m on the treadmill.
-- Tuesday and Thursday, I take Pilate’s. It’s not as tough as last fall. I’m improving … slowly. When we’re on the mats, I can even touch my feet to the floor above my head. Not bad for 55.
-- Then (weather permitting), I’m walking 4 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday.
-- I get Fridays off. (I LOVE FRIDAYS!)

I want to push myself further on the treadmill.
First 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.7 mph
Second 5 minutes … 15% incline … 3.8 mph
Third 5 minutes … 14% incline … 3.9 mph
Fourth 5 minutes … 14% incline … 4 mph
Fifth minutes … 13% incline … 4.1 mph
Last 5 minutes … 13% incline … 4.2 mph

Not bad for someone who used to be ready to die at 3 mph on the flat.


Monday, October 5, 2009

FAT and the FEMALE Metabolism




Mother Nature hates me.


I’ve noticed that I lose weight differently throughout my cycle. Yes, I’m 55 and still having cycles. See the opening line.


I don’t struggle as much to lose between my period and ovulation as I do in the second half. I assume it’s water retention. (Technically, the title should say weight, not fat.) For the past several weeks, I couldn’t seem to lose at all. Now since last Monday, I’ve gone from 195 to 191. I wish a monitor would pop up and say, “Don’t panic. It’s water.”


Because I’m approaching menopause, it’s more complicated. This last period went on for 3 weeks. Some days were light. Others fell into the “red sea” category. This one was not the worst. Because my last period was in July, I had hoped the end was in sight. Apparently not.


It has to stop sometime. I’m not going to be 90, or even 60 and still having periods. And if I do, I’ll go on Oprah.


Regardless, I’m still going to lose this weight!


My apologies to the guys. I promise not to talk about this stuff very often. But it’s a fact of life for half the population.

No comments: